[Mediawiki-l] Setting up uploads (v1.12) -- working now!

Raymond Wan r.wan at aist.go.jp
Thu Feb 25 03:04:11 UTC 2010

Hi Benjamin and everyone,

Benjamin Lees wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Raymond Wan <r.wan at aist.go.jp> wrote:
>>  > Upload file
>>  > Upload warning
>>  > Protected page
> It appears to be complaining that the image title is protected, though
> that doesn't make a lot of sense here.  This could be a problem with the
> Debian package or its interaction with your configuration; it could also be
> a bug in 1.12 (which was released two years ago, after all).

Just wanted to follow up...

I gathered up my courage and upgraded MediaWiki.  Backing up, etc. wasn't too hard and I encountered
no problems.  Debian "backports" had v1.15.1 for the current Debian stable, so I did end up using
that instead of the MediaWiki sources (didn't want to risk too much :-) ).  That went fine since
installing just that package required no additional dependencies.

After running the update.php script, uploading image files worked -- without changing anything
[further] in my LocalSettings.php.  So, it seems you were right...it was either a problem with
Debian's [older] MediaWiki or something in my settings conflicted with it.

Thank you all for your help!  Perhaps I should have more courage when it comes to deviating from
Debian stable.  :-)

Ray