[Mediawiki-l] Setting up uploads (v1.12)

Raymond Wan r.wan at aist.go.jp
Thu Feb 25 01:37:19 UTC 2010

Hi Benjamin,

Benjamin Lees wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Raymond Wan <r.wan at aist.go.jp> wrote:
>> Anything else I'm missing?  Does the error:
>>
>>  > Upload file
>>  > Upload warning
>>  > Protected page
> It appears to be complaining that the image title is protected, though
> that doesn't make a lot of sense here.  This could be a problem with the
> Debian package or its interaction with your configuration; it could also be
> a bug in 1.12 (which was released two years ago, after all).
>
> This is (one reason) why most MW developers will recommend that you set up
> MediaWiki yourself and not rely on an OS package.  I think you'd find it
> pretty easy—especially compared to trying to debug problems like these!

Thanks for your suggestion!  As I'm not a very good sysadmin, I tend to just use Debian as-is since
it usually works well.  But I realize being out of date is one cost of using Debian over other OS'
(of course, Debian testing is an option).

After my first post, I kept trying to use Google to find the above error message.  On the next day,
my own post was on the first page of Google.  Started to make me feel that this error doesn't happen
all too often!

I'll look into upgrading MediaWiki, then.  I looked at the information on upgrading and I guess I
can do it...  :-)  Thank you for your post and confirming that it doesn't seem like I missed
something obvious!

Ray