[Mediawiki-l] Need help on Installation

Edward Swing deswing at vsticorp.com
Wed Feb 24 17:04:12 UTC 2010

I’ve installed MediaWiki, and I am trying to go through the configuration step. I have reached the point where I am trying to go through the config/index.php script, and I get the “Can't write config file, aborting” page coming up. This page tells me that I need to execute the following:

        cd /path/to/wiki
        chmod a+w config

I have done this step (repeatedly), and it still does not work. I am running Apache as apache.apache, and the directory is both owned by apache.apache, AND has 777 permissions. I’ve restarted apache at least twice. What am I missing?

I have Googled for this problem, and it seems like it is a recurring problem that others have encountered.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Edward Swing
Principal Technology Consultant
Vision Systems & Technology, Inc.

6021 University Boulevard, Suite 360 ▪ Ellicott City ▪ Maryland ▪ 21043

Tel: 410.418.9919 ▪ Main: 410.418.5555 ▪ Fax: 410.418.8580

Email: deswing at vsticorp.com
Web: http://www.vsticorp.com/ <http://www.vsticorp.com/>