[Mediawiki-l] Showing part of an article into a table

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Wed Feb 17 19:51:48 UTC 2010

> From: Juan Jes?s Cremades Monserrat <relicary at gmail.com>
>
> In the Main Page of Wikipedia ther are sections like "Today's featured
> article" which shows part of an article and a tag called "more..."
> I've
> studied the code, but I don't undertand it. How can I do some
> similar? My
> objective is show part of another wiki page in my own main page. I
> don't
> need the aleatory selection of a page of the day. Thanks!

Not sure how they're doing it, but you might check out the DPL
extension.

We use that on our home page to transclude a short section of a random
page:

{{note|<dpl> namespace= includepage=* includemaxlength=600
escapelinks=false resultsheader=__NOTOC__ __NOEDITSECTION__
randomcount=1 mode=userformat addpagecounter=true listseparators=<h2>A
Random Selection From Page: , [[%PAGE%]]</h2>,,\n\n </dpl>}}

Would that there were an award for people who come to understand the
concept of enough. Good enough. Successful enough. Thin enough. Rich
enough... When you have self-respect you have enough, and when you
have enough you have self-respect. -- Gail Sheehy