[Mediawiki-l] Category/Page Permissions

Tech Geek techgeek12345 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 19:15:51 UTC 2010

 Dan,

> There are some third-party extensions that provide some of these features,
> but they are all insecure and easily cracked.

Just out of curiosity can you point out which extensions are you talking
about?

> Good news: You can approximate some of these things with the FlaggedRevs
> extension, which is fully supported in MediaWiki. It hides changes from
> being seen until a reviewer approves them.
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Flagged_Revisions

Interesting. I will take a look at it.

> you can't completely hide the changes (they're just not displayed by
> default), but you do get notification and managers.

Let me explain little bit more clearly in case I was not in my original
post. I am not looking to hide the changes. What we really want is once a
article is posted to a particular category it is locked down and only few
people (who are a part of special group, let's just call "manager") can
modify it.

Another way to achieve this would be to put a lock on an entire category so
that only users in the "manager" group can post the article in that category
and once it is posted it is locked down.

  Thanks for your input!