[Mediawiki-l] Delete user

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Mon Dec 6 19:38:11 UTC 2010

On Monday 06 December 2010 15:19:18 Łukasz Garczewski wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Graham <tolliver at dal.ca> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > What is the best method with respect to deleting a user.
> >

> > Mediawiki 1.16.0
> > PHP 5.1.6(apache2handler)
> > MySQL 5.0.77
>
> Don't.
>
> MediaWiki relies on having all users present, all the time.
>
> You can rename a user, block them infinately or reset their password
> and e-mail if you don't wish them to be able to log in at all.
>
> But do not delete. :)
>
> Plus, there are licensing concerns around edit attirbution, too.

We have large numbers of registered users who have never contributed anything
at all, so I suspect that some of them could be bots.  I had considered trying
to identify all who have been registered for more than a year without
contributing, and removing those accounts.  I don't see the advantage to
either the wiki or the user in a non-contributing registration.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group