[Mediawiki-l] Possible to block users from using a specific email service?

OQ overlordq at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 23:24:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Clayton <ccornell at openoffice.org> wrote:
> I'm busy tidying up spam on the OOoWiki on a fairly regular basis.  The
> OOoWiki uses several tools to block/stop spammers (BadBehavior, the spam
> RegEx etc.)... it's working most of the time, but the spammers still get
> in and vandalize pages several times per week.  I've been poking around
> and discovered that a lot of the spammers (who create an account just to
> post a URL link) are using Mailinator dot com to create a one-time-use
> throwaway email address to receive the Wiki user authentication email.
>
> Is there any practical way of blocking new users from using specific
> services like Mailinator?  Is there a better way of dealing with
> situations like this?
>
> C.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Hooks/AbortNewAccount

might work, dont know exactly what the docu means by 'incomplete'

pesudocodey:

$wgHooks['AbortNewAccount'][] = 'fnMyHook';
function fnMyHook( $user, $message ) {
  if( $user->getEmail() =~ /mailinator/ ) {
    $message = 'mailinator iz verbotten';
    return false;
  }
}