[Mediawiki-l] How to fix an image page with "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of..."

Antonio Orlando ant.o at libero.it
Mon Aug 30 17:18:37 UTC 2010

I have two image pages (File:filename1.png, File:filename2.jpg) that, when
opened, show a blank empty page on the server.
It seems to happen when someone uploads images with big resolution (the
images are there correctly uploaded, but their "File:" wiki pages are
broken).

On local development server, I can replicate the error, and I can read a
debug message instead of an empty blank page:

"Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 52428800 bytes exhausted (tried to
allocate 12417800 bytes) in path\to\includes\media\Bitmap.php  on line 212"

I've tried to raise "memory_limit" to 512MB in php.ini and with ini_set in
LocalSettings.php, but no luck - same error.

Now, I would like at least to be able to delete those two "broken" image
pages, i.e. I don't want them in the wiki.
Any suggestions on how to do it, eventually also acting directly on the
database?

Besides, how to avoid that happening again?

Thanks,

--
Antonio