[Mediawiki-l] Getting User Data in Extension

MK halfcountplus at intergate.com
Wed Aug 25 14:20:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 23:58:16 +0000
mediawiki-l-request at lists.wikimedia.org wrote:
> MK wrote:
> > Just to clarify: the special page will be a form.  The fields
> > correspond (approximately) to the structure of the pages in the
> > wiki, for example, here the page listing mediawiki itself:
> >
> > http://directoryng-dev.fsf.org/wiki/MediaWiki
> >
> > Nb, this information appears outdated (lol) but don't bother
> > creating a user to correct it (yet) as the site is still in
> > development.
>
> Wow, that information is way old. Not even one of the external links
> is right (although some addresses are probably still accepted).

No doubt -- much of the material is like this, which is probably one of
the reasons they wanted to move it to a wiki (there are currently 6000+
projects listed and we may be adding a lot more from debian
databases, meaning I cannot go thru checking/updating them). Once the
site is officially up I'll announce it here (with a reminder about that
issue) and whoever's interested can take the chance to update/correct
the info.

> Calling Article::doEdit()
> It would look similar to this:
>
> $title = Title::newFromText( $wgRequest->getVal( 'title' ) );
> $article = new Article( $title )
> $text = '{{FSWhead|short=' . $wgRequest->getVal( 'short' ) . '|
> full=' . $wgRequest->getVal( 'full' ) . '|home=' $wgRequest->getVal
> ( 'home' ) . "}}"; $article->doEdit( $text, "Special page edited
> article" );
>
> Article::doEdit() has a user param, but if it is not provided, it will
> automagically use the user which submitted the form to the special
> page.

Good -- I did eventually find doEdit() and match that up with the stuff
from Title.php to get it to work, thanks for confirming I am on the
right path!   Perhaps when done I will add a page about this to the
Manual, eg, how to do a form based page creation extension, and
someone(s) can look that over, etc.   We also have a form based search
for Semantic stuff, which I partially learned from the example of
others. I think forms would be a useful tool on wikis with highly
structured articles/entries, such as this.

--
MK <halfcountplus at intergate.com>