[Mediawiki-l] AuthPlugin examples for Single Sign-on?

Owen B. Mehegan owen at nerdnetworks.org
Tue Aug 24 17:34:47 UTC 2010

I have a MediaWiki install (v. 1.15.3) and I'd like to be able to use
an in-house single sign-on system that we have to authenticate users
and log them into the wiki. I've started down the path of using
AuthPlugin for this, but I'm stuck at one point.

Right now I've got it working such that when a user goes to the wiki
we check our SSO system to see if they are logged in and have the right
role (sounds like LDAP right? sadly, it's not). If so, we allow them
into the wiki. If not, we take them to our SSO sign-in page, they log
in, then get directed to the wiki. If they log in but don't have the
right role they are shown an error message. I want this to be the auth
flow, rather than using the MW login page, so that's all fine. The
problem is that I can't figure out how to get MW to auto-create
accounts for these users and log them in when they are sent back to the
wiki. They just end up back there as a logged-out anonymous user.

I've looked at the following resources but I still can't figure out
what I'm doing wrong:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/AuthPlugin
http://svn.wikimedia.org/doc/classAuthPlugin.html
http://wiki.case.edu/CaseWiki:External_Authentication

I guess I just don't know what functions I'm supposed to implement
myself to do account creation and login on the MW side, and I don't
know what the best practices are for calling those.

Thanks in advance for any insights you can give me :)

--
Owen B. Mehegan (owen at nerdnetworks.org)
"He is a dangerous mixture of sophistication and recklessness which