[Mediawiki-l] Suggest a starting point for custom auth token passing?

Belton, Todd tbelton at gsd.harvard.edu
Mon Aug 9 15:24:05 UTC 2010

I'm going to be attempting to make MediaWiki read Harvard
authentication. The Harvard system handles login and then passes a
verified, user-unique token back to the caller. It's the caller's
responsibility to look up the token in whatever their own authorization
system is, and say, "Oh, yeah, that's this user, he has these rights"
and proceed accordingly.

The idea here is that a user comes to the MediaWiki top URL, gets passed
to Harvard auth, back to the wiki, which does the right thing and logs
him in.

I realize there's going to need to be some PHP work here, and that's
fine - but I'd rather try to hack an existing auth extension that's
semi-close to what I'm trying to do than start from scratch.
Unfortunately I'm sort of lost in the thick woods of all the auth
extensions out there. Would anyone care to make recommendations for what
I should use as a starting point?