[Mediawiki-l] Protect tab not working the way I expected

Michael Kingery (HL7) mkingery at hl7.org
Mon Aug 2 12:26:34 UTC 2010

I do want to give all logged-in users the right to protect a page. My
understanding is that this setting does not impact who can edit a
protected page. It asks you for that when you protect the page, and I
tell it that I only want sysops to be able to edit the page, but it's
allowing anyone to edit the page if they're logged in despite the fact
that it shows a message on the edit screen saying that only sysops can
edit because it's protected. And when I edit a protected page as a sysop
or a logged-in user, it never forces me to unprotect the page.

Just to test, I commented out the line you listed below and this caused
the Protect tab to disappear for logged-in users that are not sysops,
which is not what I'm looking for.

I've found some listings on the web about the editprotect setting which
I have included below, but this doesn't seem to affect anything.

$wgGroupPermissions['*']['editprotected'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['user']['editprotected'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['editprotected'] = true;

Mike Kingery
Director of Technical Services
Health Level Seven International
+1 (919) 636-4032