[Mediawiki-l] 1.16b2 install problems

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 16:49:39 UTC 2010

This is so simple and showstopping it'll be something stupid on my part.

We have a 1.13 installation. I tried setting up a test wiki with
1.16b2 on the same database ("techwiki") with a new table prefix
("testwiki_").

We have a user, "admin". I tried installing 1.16b2 and got error 1044,
insufficient privileges. I did, per the mediawiki.org FAQ, as root:

mysql> grant all privileges on techwiki to 'admin'@'%' identified by 'password';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

- and ran it again. I got (last lines of the install page):

# Attempting to connect to database server as admin...success.
# Connected to mysql 5.0.41; enabling MySQL 4.1/5.0 charset mode
# Database techwiki exists
# Creating tables... done.
# Initializing statistics...
A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in
the software. The last attempted database query was:

    SELECT user_id FROM `testwiki_user` WHERE user_name = 'WikiSysop' LIMIT 1

from within function "User::idForName". Database returned error "1146:
Table 'techwiki.testwiki_user' doesn't exist (localhost)".

Looking in the database, it has *not* created any tables, so "Creating
tables... done." is untrue.

So what silly thing haven't I done yet?

- d.