[Mediawiki-l] 1.13.2 to 1.15 upgrade on Windows, title character problems

Christensen, Courtney ChristensenC at battelle.org
Mon Apr 26 14:11:31 UTC 2010

Hi All,

We are in the process of upgrading our installations from 1.13 and 1.9 to 1.15 and we are having a little issue with page titles degrading.  When we dump the live database and move it to an acceptance machine and run the upgrade.php script on it we find that the characters like alpha have been changing into less readable strings.

We have tried:
mysqldump (with no options)
mysqldump --default-character-set=latin1
mysqldump --default-character-set=utf8

We have tried post dump conversion scripts, including Charco (as recommended in the MW Manual.)

Any other pointers would be really helpful.

Thanks,
Courtney Christensen