[Mediawiki-l] Profiling information - how many percent make 100?

Sam.Sexton at thomsonreuters.com Sam.Sexton at thomsonreuters.com
Tue Apr 20 13:03:38 UTC 2010

I said:

> Hi - I've just implemented profiling on 1.13.0 to see where the time
goes and I'm just a little confused:

> Here's a clip of what profileinfo.php shows me:
>
> -total     100%
>
> MediaWiki::initialize [+]                62.14%
>
> Parser::parse [+]              60.5%
>
> MediaWiki::performAction          60.35%
>
> Article::view       58.87%
>
> Parser::internalParse     46.76%
>
> Parser::replaceVariables               30.62%
>
> Parser::braceSubstitution [+]     18.86%
>
> MediaWiki::finalCleanup              16.74%
>
> OutputPage::output       16.05%
>
> Output-skin        15.96%
>
> SkinTemplate::outputPage [+]   15.95%
>
> AutoLoader::autoload   15.71%
>
> Now, perhaps I'm out of touch and this is a quantum mechanics matter
that's beyond me, but in the olden days, there were only 100 percentage
points - but  the first two entries alone claim to be taking >120% of
the time - so I'd be grateful if this could be explained to me, please!

> Thanks,
>
> /Sam

What would also help is a sample of what a well-performing system would
show - this stuff ain't intuitive - to me, at least!