[Mediawiki-l] Performance Problems

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 22:29:32 UTC 2010

Matthias Korn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Mon, 19 Apr 2010 01:04:40 +0200
> schrieb Platonides <Platonides en gmail.com>:
>
>> Install an opcode cache, cache parser output, perhaps place a caching
>> proxy...
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Cache
>
> We are on a shared web hoster. So caching is not really an option for
> now.

If your shared hosting reports performance problems, it should take
advantage of caching. Refusing to use the available facilities and
complaining about performance is a little silly. Not all caching options
supported by mediawiki are unsuitable for shared hosts. Some will also
improve the perfomance of the other users, too.

> To be frank, I was a little surprised to have that big of a performance
> impact with only 2000 visitors per day. Do you think that claim is
> reasonable? I would like to see what is actually causing it, but I have
> no idea how to analyze it.

MediaWiki is a fat wiki. Plus some extensions like Dynamic Page List
aren't optimized for many users precisely.
However, it should also be taken into account the number of sites served
by that server and how shitty they hardware is.