[Mediawiki-l] parser problem with complex transclusion

Thomas Alexander Gerds tag at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Apr 13 19:41:15 UTC 2010

I ran into a strange behavior of the parser (MediaWiki 1.15.0):

in our wiki a page is build by calling two nested templates which call
several semantic inline queries which then call a format template to
show the results. one of the format template arguments is a list of
names (of people) for which another template finds corresponding to the
current year an affiliation.

with few results (of the inline queries) this works fine.

but, with many results only a very blank page is shown.  the strange
thing is that the preview works fine.

I tried to change increase the following parameters

,----

| ini_set( 'memory_limit', '100M' );
| $wgMaxPPExpandDepth=100;
| $wgMaxPPNodeCount=10000000;
`----

but none seemed to solve this problem. also the source code of the
preview of the problematic page says:

,----

| Preprocessor node count: 13901/1000000
| Post-expand include size: 439559/2097152 bytes
| Template argument size: 37595/2097152 bytes
| Expensive parser function count: 0/100
`----

any ideas/help is very much appreciated!

Tomy