[Mediawiki-l] LDAP Authentication to Novell eDirectory

Marc Patermann hans.moser at ofd-sth.niedersachsen.de
Fri Sep 25 11:45:49 UTC 2009

Hi,

Herb Parsons schrieb:
> Well, I've tried changing that setting, and still get the same error
> message.
That was:
"[Tue Sep 22 10:21:54 2009] [error] [client 192.168.1.240] PHP Warning:
ldap_start_tls(): Unable to start TLS: Can't contact LDAP server in
/srv/www/htdocs/w/extensions/LDAPAuthentication/LdapAuthentication.php on
line 213, referer: https://192.168.1
.130/w/index.php5?title=Special:UserLogin&returnto=Main_Page"
Right?

If the error message is true, MW tries STARTTLS.

Also you stated:
"I also show on the NetWare server that it is listening on port 636"

This is (in most cases) so called LDAPs (LDAP over SSL) on a - from the
connection on - secure Port. Which is different from LDAP with TLS
(started by STARTTLS), here TLS starts later on on an unencrypted
connection.

 From the blog:
"Specifically, the plugin defaults to tls using LDAP (port 389)"

So this is what we see. The plugin tries TLS not SSL. You may check the
plugin config to make the SSL setting work.

Marc