[Mediawiki-l] Adding new links to every page?

Brenden Towey brendentowey at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 22:24:05 UTC 2009

Hey folks, new user here.  I have a new install of MediaWiki that seems
to be fine.  However, I'd like to "wrap" some elements from the rest of
my site around the MediaWiki.  For example, add some links to the main
page (not MediaWiki main page, but the site) and add a few other
important site wide links that don't go to a MediaWiki page.  I can do
some of this with just CSS, but actually adding links seems like it's
going to require some MW config.

I looked at the docs, and I thought I could use the OutputPageBeforeHTML
hook, but now I'm not so sure.

(Link for reference:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Hooks/OutputPageBeforeHTML )

I'd like to add a couple of links to the start or end of the "topbar",
but I don't see a method in the OutputPage.php object to do so. I'd also
like to add some links to the "quickbar".  Am I missing something?
Also, I want to create all new blocks of links (new div, new list of
links, etc.) just inside the <body> tag, either at the beginning or the
end of the <body> block.

Is there a better way of doing this besides the OutputPageBeforeHTML
hook?  Hopefully someone has done this before.

Thanks for any help you can provide.