[Mediawiki-l] Importing XML with restrictions tag

CVB clausvb.wikipedia at mailnull.com
Thu Sep 17 12:24:36 UTC 2009

> Is this just reserved syntax for a planned feature, or should it
> actually work?

I do not think it works. I googled and and only found your post:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/mediawiki/178667?page=last
and some extensions.

I looked at the code of "importDump.php", but could not find anything
useful there, either.

I would try a different approach.

When you run "importDump.php" you could modify it or your script and add:

"INSERT INTO mw_page_restrictions
(pr_page, pr_type, pr_level, pr_cascade, pr_user, pr_expiry, pr_id)
VALUES(4, 'edit', 'sysop', 0, NULL, 'infinity', 1);"

4 = "page_id" in table "mw_page"

"autoconfirmed" could be used instead of "sysop", if you want to grant
access to registered users.

But keep in mind:
"MediaWiki is not designed to be a CMS, or to protect sensitive data.
To the contrary, it was designed to be as open as possible. Thus it
does not inherently support full featured, air-tight protection of
private content. But with the massive increase of MediaWiki use in
corporate intranets and the many CMS-like features emerging, demand
for tighter security is emerging."
(Quote from "Security issues with authorization extensions")
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Security_issues_with_authorization_extensions

Regards
Claus