[Mediawiki-l] No wonder RSS replays every day on smaller wikis

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 23:07:36 UTC 2009

Nobody "left it on." It was part of the output and you're
the first person to ever mention this as an issue.

-Chad

On Sep 15, 2009 6:45 PM, <jidanni at jidanni.org> wrote:

http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fabj.jidanni.org%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3DSpecial%3ARecentChanges%26feed%3Drss
says it is a valid feed.

Yes, in an ideal world we would all switch to Atom.

JFR> and thus readers have to use very unreliable tricks like
JFR> checksumming the contents of the <description> tag to detect
JFR> updates.

which work fine for every feed I've encountered except Mediawiki's,
where someone left debugging on in the production version.

And readers will not necessarily stop comparing content just because
there now is a guid.

And we shouldn't be required to ask reader packages to implement an Atom
version, because we can't use RSS anymore, just because someone left
debugging turned on.

JFR> If you still insist in using RSS feeds, I give you an option: As
JFR> part of creating one of my extensions

Nor why must we start using extensions, just because someone has left
debugging turned on.