[Mediawiki-l] Recent Changes UDP Announcement IRC Bot

Daniel Kinzler daniel at brightbyte.de
Sun Sep 13 16:20:34 UTC 2009

APseudoUtopia schrieb:
> Hey list,
>
> I have an IRC bot. I'm integrating the mediawiki RC announcement into
> the bot by having it listen on a UDP ip/port, parsing the incoming
> message, then announcing it on IRC.
>
> I'm having trouble in the "parsing" part of that. The RC announcement
> message sent from MW is very messy, with random numbers and other
> characters mixed in.

As others have pointed out, these are color codes, and they may help with
parsing. But the format is very messy and incomplete. What you get in UDP is
probably more or less readable, if messy, but once this is passed through IRC,
long messages get cut off.

Basically: we need a better solution for this. My goal is to get a live feed of
XML formatted messages (using the same format used by the API), and transmitting
them via XMPP (well, the first leap will still be UDP). I have been talking
about this for a while now, and got nods for the idea from the core admins at
Wikimania.

Extension code (incomplete and largely unfinished, buzt able to emit XML via
UDP) is here: <http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/trunk/extensions/XMLRC/>.

But this isn't a priority project of mine, so it's progressing slowly.
Especially the part where I would have to set up an XMPP server (not needed if
you can receive UDP directly, but without it, this project would be quite
useless for wikimedia projects). So... anyone want to help? I'm currently trying
to set up openfire on the toolserver. I have never worked with openfire before.
Can someone help me with that?

thanks
daniel