[Mediawiki-l] Enabling Short URL problem

Laura O'Grady laura at lauraogrady.ca
Mon Sep 7 01:53:47 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I've skimmed through the archives but couldn't find anything specific to
my circumstances.

My server space uses Linux, Apache, PHP 5.2.9, and MySQL 5.0.51. I'm
with a provider called EasyHosting and they use a server called
www.megawebservers.com. I've installed MediaWiki version 1.15.1 into a
subdirectory called ckbwiki at my site. Previously I installed WordPress
in the root of my public directory and enabled permalinks (their version
of short urls) by editing .htaccess. It works.

I've tried to follow the instructions at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL. I have a few problems.
One is I don't understand all the different options available and which
one fits my circumstance. The other (which is my own doing!) is that I
make changes to both the LocalHosting.php and .htaccess, upload them
then when it doesn't work I can't isolate the error because I've made
too many changes.

Here's what I've tried so far:

wiki/Page title -- no root access
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL/wiki/Page_title_--_no_roo
t_access

LocalSettings.php

$wgScriptPath = "/ckbwiki";         # Path to the actual files (right
part of first rewrite rule). Should already be in LocalSettings.php
$wgArticlePath = "/wiki/$1";  # Virtual path (left part of first rewrite
rule). MUST be DIFFERENT from the path above!
$wgUsePathInfo = true;

.htaccess

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^wiki/(.*)$ /cbwiki/index.php?title=$1 [PT,L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^wiki/*$ /cbwiki/index.php [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^/*$ /cbwiki/index.php [L,QSA]

Result: loads lauraogrady.ca fine, CKBwiki link
(http://lauraogrady.ca/ckbwiki/index.php/Main_Page) redirects to
http://lauraogrady.ca/wiki/Main_Page, which is a 404)

Since then I've made various other changes with similar errors.

Can anyone please help me troubleshoot this? Thanks.

Laura