[Mediawiki-l] Image Upload Error

A Chan chanamy1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 1 23:15:26 UTC 2009

Hello Everyone,

I have an older instance of MediaWiki (v1.4.5) running with PHP 5.0.3, MySQL 4.1.9, Redhat Linux.  We need to upgrade to PHP 5.2.3 to enable another application to run on the same server.

I wanted to test compatibility of PHP 5.2.3 with MediaWiki 1.4.5, so installed MediaWiki 1.4.5 on a test machine running PHP 5.2.3.

Some images are uploaded successfully, while others generate the error:
"Fatal error: Call to undefined function imagecreatefromjpeg() in /data/app00063/htdocs/mediawiki-1.4.5/includes/Image.php on line 578"

Googling on this error points to PHP not being built with the GD library.

However:
* Image uploads work fine on the live instance of our wiki running with PHP 5.0.3.
* phpinfo() on the PHP 5.0.3 does not list the GD library as enabled.

Is GD library the likely problem?  Are there any known incompatibilities between MediaWiki 1.4.5 and PHP 5.2.3?

Eventually we should upgrade to a newer version of MediaWiki, but so far have not had the resources to do so.

Thanks for your help!
-Amy