[Mediawiki-l] Sharing some extensions

Eric K ek79501 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 7 04:31:24 UTC 2009

Thanks to all who've helped me in the past! I'm returning the favour to all of you by sharing some small extensions:

Personal notepad, accessible only to the owner:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Personal_Notepad

Email to specific users (wiki editable list) for activity by new and anonymous users:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Recent_Activity_Notify
(useful for small wikis)

Recent Changes Cleanup:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Recent_Changes_Cleanup
(just marks an RC line as coming from a bot so it wont appear in the default RC view; also useful for small wikis)

I love the "wiki editable list" feature which I copied from the SpamBlacklist extension. Using this feature, I could create pages on the wiki that acted as editable "system variables". I could edit a wiki page and modify the behavior of the wiki e.g. if a certain page was edited to contain a line "refuse anons", the wiki would go into a no-anon mode, without me having to get into LocalSettings.php.

Brion, thanks for your kind help too! I was sad to know you were leaving MW/WP but then I was glad to know you'll still be around. Thanks and good luck for your new position!