[Mediawiki-l] Use MySQL for User Login

Ross Xu rossxunix at yahoo.ca
Tue Nov 24 22:07:09 UTC 2009

Greetings,

I have an existing MySQL database for my customer portal website which includes customers' account info (usernames, and passwords).

Now, I am configuring my MediaWiki on another machine in the same LAN for customers. How could I make use of the existing customer portal MySQL database for my MW user authentication?

It seems the extension "Auth viaMySQL" could do a similar job, but it's for the same website (same machine), requires special login/logout script files for the website, and does NOT tell where/how to connect the existing database.

What's the trick to use this extension for a MW on a different machine?  Or, is there another way to do user authentication over MySQL?

Thanks in advance,
Ross