[Mediawiki-l] First adventures with Category

Schneelocke schneelocke at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 18:01:38 UTC 2009

Hello Anne,

> Thanks for answering, Schnee

You're quite welcome!

> So when I click on it, I see a page that lists all the pages in the category,
> with an empty edit panel.  What is it expecting me to add to that page?  Is
> there some documentation other than Help:Category?  I'm still studying that,
> but so far haven't found anything that explains this.  I thought it was just
> the dynamically created list.

Categories are dynamically created lists, yes, but they're still pages
as well, and you can add content to them just like you would to any
other page.

For example, take Category:Mathematics on the English Wikipedia[1];
there is a list of sub-categories on that page, as well as a list of
articles, but there's also some text above that, a link to the
Mathematics portal and a link to the Wikimedia Commons for media files
related to mathematics, and - last not least - a number of category
links for categories that the Mathematics category is a sub-category
of, such as Category:Logic, Category:Structure and others.

What you put on a category page is really up to you, but making a
category part of another category is pretty standard, I think, and
helps establish a hierarchy of categories.

I'm not sure if there's any further documentation, but the English
Wikipedia's project page on categorization[2] might be helpful,
although chances are parts of it will be specific to Wikipedia.

1. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Category%3AMathematics
2. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Wikipedia%3ACategorization

--
schnee