[Mediawiki-l] Translating wiki articles

Clayton ccornell at openoffice.org
Wed Nov 18 09:23:11 UTC 2009

> The Translate extension seems to be made for translating the interfaces of
> software projects. It doesn't seem to be set up to translate documents or
> wiki content.
>
> Are you SURE that the translate extension is what cornell is asking for?

I've looked at the Translate extension, but.. it really doesn't seem to
server the purpose.

Maybe some clarity.... on the OOoWiki, there are two levels of
translation happening:
 1. The organized translations that export wiki pages, convert to po or
xlif and run the content through a formal translation process/tool using
translation memories etc.
 2. The ad-hoc translations that are done on the fly by OOo community
members.

The second one is the problem area.  Community members are, through lack
of experience and knowledge, translating directly in the source page
overwriting the original content in the process.

What I'm looking to do is to make the process more... obvious I guess...
thus my "dream" extension that adds a "Translate this page" link at the
top next to the Edit link.

> I've also had some success using the ProofreadPage and DoubleWiki
> extensions, which allow side-by-side display of a wiki page with an image
> of a page.

Hmmmm I might have to take a look at that.

Another extension I'm hoping to implement is FlaggedRevs... it's not the
right solution for the translation issues, but... it might help limit
the unintentional damage done by well meaning community members.

C.
Clayton Cornell       ccornell at openoffice.org
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead
StarOffice - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Hamburg, Germany