[Mediawiki-l] Translating wiki articles

ccornell - OpenOffice.org ccornell at openoffice.org
Tue Nov 17 14:59:32 UTC 2009

Does anyone here work with multilanguage Wiki content?  Are there any
extensions that ease the pain of translating Wiki articles?

On the OpenOffice.org Wiki we have a lot of languages in use.  Various
community members pop in, see a favorite page they want in their
language, and they start translating.  Unfortunately a lot of these well
intentioned translations are done directly in/over the original content.

I'm trying to find a way to make this... ummm.. easier.  Say for example
an extension that adds a "Translate this page" link next to the "Edit"
link, and then presents the user with a selectable list of predefined
languages.  Pick a language, and a new page is started with the right
article naming (something we can do on the OOoWiki due to article naming
styles we use) and copies the original text into the new page edit box
ready to be edited/translated.

OK, that might just be a dream extension, but... maybe something that
allows side by side views of articles while translating... or...

I've been poking around looking for info on how people manage this on
other Wikis, but haven't really turned up any useful info yet... does
someone here have any suggestions?

C.
Clayton Cornell       ccornell at openoffice.org
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead
StarOffice - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Hamburg, Germany