[Mediawiki-l] Install Failed - didn't get a valid database resource

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Thu Nov 5 22:47:02 UTC 2009

Hopefully this is an easy one, but I don't know where to start. I just
tried to install MediaWiki 1.15.1 on my Fedora Core 9 Linux box, but it
failed to install claiming that it got a bad resource.

Here's what the installer said:
Checking the version of Postgres...
*Warning*: pg_version(): supplied argument is not a valid PostgreSQL
link resource in */var/www/html/wiki/includes/db/DatabasePostgres.php*
on line *1078*
*FAILED*. Required version is 8.1. You have 7.3 or earlier

But I know I have version 8.3.3. loaded so I don't know how it's coming
up with this conclusion. I wrote a little PHP script to double-check
pg_version(), and as expected, I got:
Version is 8.3.1
Server is 8.3.3
Protocol is 3

Does anyone know how I can fix this and get this wiki wiki'ing?
Many thanks!
- Bill Thoen