[Mediawiki-l] Link for "E-mail new password" breaks when username has a space in it

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Wed May 27 00:37:50 UTC 2009

I have changed the text of MediaWiki:Passwordremindertext in an
attempt to include a link, so that people won't have to go enter user/
pass on a form.

I know, it's a small thing, but almost all other websites that have
you register with an email address have this feature, and we have a
fairly large number of users who are not particularly sophisticated
computer users.

So I put:
	{{SERVER}}{{localurl:Special:Userlogin}}?wpName=$2&wpPassword=
$3&returnto=Special:Preferences

in the Passwordremindertext message, but the user ID has (by
convention) a space in it, as we use (by convention) "Firstname
Lastname" as our user IDs. This causes the link to break in
{{localurl:Special:Userlogin}}. This causes our unsophisticated user
base to simply give up, rather than copy-n-paste the password.

At one time, I'm pretty sure I had this working, but a user recently
complained, and then I discovered that it *never* works any longer, at
least for our user name convention, at least for MW 1.13.

Are there others out there who are successfully using a "clickback"
link in MediaWiki:passwordremindertext who would like to share their
secret?

Thanks in advance!

:::: The antidote to fear is action! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org ::::