[Mediawiki-l] TasksExtension & Parser interaction breaks lists

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Tue May 26 18:27:32 UTC 2009

> From: "Sumurai8 (DD)" <sumurai8 at gmail.com>
>
> You can try to use
>
>  :*
>
> instead of:
>
>   **
>
> Difference is that the system won't try to make a <ul> in a <ul>,
> but uses a
> your page
> things should look fine.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was unable to make that work in the
Sandbox.
	http://www.EcoReality.org/wiki/Sandbox

I tried putting the ":" in various places, but the list formatting
still fell to pieces after the line with <tasks>...</tasks> in it.

Any other ideas? I sure would like to be able to use this.

(www.EcoReality.org is a closed system -- primarily to avoid vandalism
-- but I've temporarily added the user/pass "Wiki Guru/guru" if
someone wants to help me figure out this stuff. Please be nice in
there. :-)

>> Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 16:52:45 -0700
>> From: Jan Steinman <Jan at Bytesmiths.com>
>> Subject: [Mediawiki-l] TasksExtension & Parser interaction breaks
>>       lists
>> To: mediawiki-l at lists.wikimedia.org
>>
>> We've been using the great Tasks Extension to put lite (extremely
>> lite) project management in our wiki.
>>
>> Unfortunately, where we '''really''' want to use <tasks> is within
>> lists, which is how we format meeting minutes, which is where action
>> items are assigned, formatted individually as <tasks>...</tasks>.
>>
>> Tasks are run through the parser, which apparently is putting extra
>> line breaks in, which then messes up the list formatting. You can see
>> a good example here:
>>       http://www.ecoreality.org/wiki/Minutes:20090503
>>
>> If you scroll down to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th bold ACTION text, you can
>> see that they are embedded in a level-2 bullet list, but that they
>> are
>> causing the list to be re-set with an extra line feed.
>>
>> I know it's the parser that's doing this, as I can edit extensions/
>> Tasks.php and replace "$parserOutput->getText()" with "$summary",
>> which is what is being sent through the parser. In such a case, the
>> $summary is not parsed, and the bullet list looks like it is supposed
>> to.
>>
>> I have a copy of Tasks.php (modified to do agreements, rather than
>> tasks) that you can see behaving in this non-parsed manner, in our
>> Sandbox:
>>       http://www.ecoreality.org/wiki/Sandbox
>>
>> I've looked at ParserOptions, hoping to find something like
>> $mDontAddExtraLinefeeds but to no avail. :-)
>>
>> If I replace parse($summary...) with the private method
>> replaceInternalLinks($summary), it looks like it is supposed to,
>> except of course that wikitext formatting and internal links are
>> lost.
>> (And I don't really want to be sending private methods nor hacking
>> around in Parser.)
>>
>> Any thoughts on what's going on, and how best to fix it?
>>
>> Thanks for whatever advice you can offer!
>>
>> :::: Magic: using envisioned intent and directed action to select
>> your
>> desired future path from among the infinite ones available. ::::
>> :::: Jan Steinman, Communication Steward, EcoReality:
>> http://www.EcoReality.org
>> ::::

:::: "One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad
:::: "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>