[Mediawiki-l] Thumbs generating issue

Bogdan Toma bog_tom at yahoo.com
Tue May 26 04:56:51 UTC 2009

Hi all,

My host enabled safe_mode so I'm kind of struggling in my way to install mediawiki.

	* MediaWiki version: 1.14
	* PHP version: 5.2.8 (GD enabled)
	* MySQL version: 4.1.22

Currently I have two issues with my mediawiki installation:
- I had to set 777 on images folder; otherwise upload won't work (I heard this action isn't safe at all); how I can make it to work with 755 only?
- currently no thumbs are generated (somehow it worked on another installation that I had to remove it)

I noticed that if I upload 2 images (image1.jpg and image2.jpg) they will be copied/created under /images folder and under thumb folder
I can see two folders (not files) /images/thumb/image1.jpg and /images/thumb/image2.jpg with no files inside. I don't think it supposed to do that (one folder/file)
I don't have putty access to server (only ftp - To control domain I use Parallels Plesk Control Panel 8.6: http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk/)

I couldn't change php.ini settings but I modified LocalSettings.php as suggested here( http://www.mwusers.com/wiki/index.php?title=PHP_Configuration#Enable_php_error_logging ) but I didn't get any error when the upload was made. Only thumbnails aren't generated.

Here are the entries from my LocalSettings file that are upload related:

$wgEnableUploads       = true;
$wgHashedUploadDirectory = false;
$wgSaveDeletedFiles = true;
$wgFileStore['deleted']['directory'] = false;// Defaults to
$wgUploadDirectory/deleted
$wgFileStore['deleted']['url'] = null;       // Private, so set to null
$wgFileStore['deleted']['hash'] = 0;         // 0-level subdirectory split
$wgThumbnailScriptPath = "{$wgScriptPath}/thumb.php";

Thank you,
Bogdan