[Mediawiki-l] TasksExtension & Parser interaction breaks lists

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Sun May 24 23:52:45 UTC 2009

We've been using the great Tasks Extension to put lite (extremely
lite) project management in our wiki.

Unfortunately, where we '''really''' want to use <tasks> is within
lists, which is how we format meeting minutes, which is where action
items are assigned, formatted individually as <tasks>...</tasks>.

Tasks are run through the parser, which apparently is putting extra
line breaks in, which then messes up the list formatting. You can see
a good example here:
	http://www.ecoreality.org/wiki/Minutes:20090503

If you scroll down to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th bold ACTION text, you can
see that they are embedded in a level-2 bullet list, but that they are
causing the list to be re-set with an extra line feed.

I know it's the parser that's doing this, as I can edit extensions/
Tasks.php and replace "$parserOutput->getText()" with "$summary",
which is what is being sent through the parser. In such a case, the
$summary is not parsed, and the bullet list looks like it is supposed
to.

I have a copy of Tasks.php (modified to do agreements, rather than
tasks) that you can see behaving in this non-parsed manner, in our
Sandbox:
	http://www.ecoreality.org/wiki/Sandbox

I've looked at ParserOptions, hoping to find something like
$mDontAddExtraLinefeeds but to no avail. :-)

If I replace parse($summary...) with the private method
replaceInternalLinks($summary), it looks like it is supposed to,
except of course that wikitext formatting and internal links are lost.
(And I don't really want to be sending private methods nor hacking
around in Parser.)

Any thoughts on what's going on, and how best to fix it?

Thanks for whatever advice you can offer!

:::: Magic: using envisioned intent and directed action to select your
desired future path from among the infinite ones available. ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, Communication Steward, EcoReality: http://www.EcoReality.org
  ::::