[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki release candidate 1.15.0rc1

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Sun May 17 04:05:32 UTC 2009

Steve VanSlyck wrote:
> MY gender is he/him/his.

It would be rather cumbersome to label grammatical genders by listing
all the words in them, in languages where there are thousands of such
words. The terms "male", "female" and "neuter" are conventionally used
instead.

> If the system wants to know something biological, like whether I am male
> or female, the correct thing to ask would be my SEX. Can we please use
> correct terminology? "Sex" is not a dirty word.

The system has no interest in biology. The system wants to know your
gender, so that it can use the correct grammatical gender in pronouns
referring to you. I thought I made this pretty clear in the announcement.

-- Tim Starling