[Mediawiki-l] Logon security for MW

Alex mrzmanwiki at gmail.com
Sat May 16 06:14:04 UTC 2009

Mike Maughan wrote:
> Morning all,
>
> I'd like to set up security on a MW site so that:
>
>    - the world can see the main page
>    - only logged-on users can go further
>    - users have to be approved before gaining initial access
>
> Failing this, all under security, pre-approved and I'll do a separate index
> page.
>
> Is there a straightforward way to do this, please?

In LocalSettings.php:

$wgGroupPermissions['*']['read'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;
$wgWhitelistRead = array("Main Page", "Special:UserLogin",
"Special:RequestAccount");

and install <http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount>

See <http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Preventing_access> for more
details.