[Mediawiki-l] How to export all articles from MW 1.7.1 to MW 1.12.0?

Michael Daly michael.daly at kayakwiki.org
Wed May 13 21:33:35 UTC 2009

£ukasz Garczewski wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Thomas Anderson
> <andersonthomas at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What would be the easiest way to import all the old articles
>> into my new installation, with preserved history? It's about 50
>> articles.
>
> The easiest way would probably be to setup your new installation to
> use the old database and then run update.php from the maintenance/
> subdirectory. That will upgrade your database to 1.12 and should run
> smoothly.

Alternatively, you could upgrade the old DB by running the 1.12 version
of upgrade.php against it and then backup the DB using mysqldump.
Restore that to the new DB. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Either of these will wipe out anything in your new DB, so if there's a
significant amount of data in there currently, you'd need to export
that.  It will come down to which has few pages to export as to which
version you choose to export via Special:Export.

Personally, I'd recommend upgrading the 1.12 version to 1.14 before
starting this.

Mike