[Mediawiki-l] Category updates and templates (1.14)

John McC sb_johnny at yahoo.com
Mon May 11 08:46:48 UTC 2009

I'm having a problem with categories that are template-updated. The templates are set to add a category at a certain number of days after the template on the page is updated, which should then be picked up by DPL to keep a "to-do list" up to date (it's supposed to track farm chores), but the category isn't "visible" to the DPL unless the page the template is used on recieves a null edit. Is there some way to force the categories to update as soon as the template kicks in? Having to null-edit sort of defeats the purpose (it's supposed to remind you to check for weeds/germination/diseases or do any number of other jobs, sometimes months after the reminder was set).

We ran into the same problem on en.wikiversity a few months ago when trying to do a category update for the "Bloom Clock", which also uses a type of DPL.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

-Johnny.