[Mediawiki-l] wiki versus Word, part 2

Tim Larson larson at towncommons.com
Mon May 4 05:24:10 UTC 2009

McHale, Nina wrote:
> Thanks for your quick and fantastic responses! I am loving this list. :)
>
> I take the excellent point about looking at whether this is the right tool
> for the job. However, the decision to use a wiki comes out of two
> consultant recommendations to use a wiki and reactions to a failed
> Sharepoint intranet installation (dating to around 2000) that people hated
> because it required use of proprietary software, in that case, Microsoft
> FrontPage. Moreover, the specific decision to use MediaWiki was vetted
> through all of the proper channels, and no one raised any objections.
>
> Thanks again, everyone!

I hate Sharepoint with a passion.  However, I realize that it's better at what
_it_ does (being a document repository) than MediaWiki is.  For most
"documents" though, being simple text online and immediately editable like the
wiki model seems a better solution to me.  If there were some extension that
allowed cooperation between MediaWiki and Sharepoint, letting each do what it
is good at, that would be fantastic.  I'm not even sure what that would look
like, though.

Tim