[Mediawiki-l] Confused about $wgScriptPath

Theodore D. Sternberg strnbrg59 at gmail.com
Sun May 3 07:18:43 UTC 2009

I'd like to change $wgScriptPath from the default of "/wiki", but I'm having
trouble.  If I want to change it to, say, "/mfqzww", do I need to create
a directory called "mfqzww" somewhere?  (Didn't think so; there's no directory
called "wiki".)

Generally, I don't understand where things are.  When I point a browser to
localhost/wiki, I get redirected to localhost/wiki/index.php/Main_Page.  I
see I have an index.php in /srv/mediawiki (same as the directory with
LocalSettings.php).  But where is Main_Page?  There's no such file.  Is
Main_Page just something in a MySql database?

My goal is quite simple.  I'm trying to set up a wiki for myself and a
few friends (we're not all on the same network though), and I'd like
to rely on obscurity to keep the material reasonably invisible to the
rest of the world.  Unwanted visitors might guess http://tedsserver.net/wiki,
but probably not something like http://tedsserver.net/mfqzww.  So that's
all I want to do; change "wiki" to "mfqzww".  And unfortunately, just
changing $wgScriptPath doesn't seem to be enough.