[Mediawiki-l] [SPAM] Re: Upgrading Mediawiki

Michael Daly michael.daly at kayakwiki.org
Sun Mar 29 21:49:39 UTC 2009

Ekompute .info wrote:

> I wonder whether
> it is because I changed the name of my database as I didn't want to corrupt
> the original one.

I've upgraded my wiki many times and never had a problem.  I also follow
the instructions and don't try to do things that are not in the upgrade
instructions.

You do things that are not in the instructions - like renaming the
database or things that are incorrect, like not running the update
script after a restore from a previous version etc.

If you want to make changes to the wiki, do that either entirely before
or entirely after the upgrade, not _during_ the upgrade.

If you are afraid of corrupting the database - make a backup.

If you are going to make changes, make sure you understand the
ramifications of the actions you take.  If you change things (like the
name of the database), you have to make the corresponding changes to the
configuration (i.e. LocalSettings.php).

Don't blame MW for things you do on your own.

Mike