[Mediawiki-l] Offline Readers?

Frank Middleton f.middleton at apogeect.com
Sat Mar 28 23:53:37 UTC 2009

P. Hightower wrote:

> Hi, I'm going to be away from an internet connection for a few weeks at a
> time over the next few weeks but would like to be able to carry a snapshot
> of my Wiki to reference so I can work on some materials while I'm on the
> road. I've been looking around via Google and I'm finding a number of
> projects that look promising but everyone I've looked at so far seems to
> fall into the vaporware category. Does anyone know of a workable solution?
> Something that runs in either Linux or XP would be good. Or maybe there's
> something out there that'll let me take an export of a bunch of page from my
> wiki and produce a pdf or something?
>
> Anything that'll let me carry and comfortably view a bunch of articles from
> the wiki would be helpful.

Presumably you have a laptop of some kind or you wouldn't consider Linux. Have
you thought about simply installing mysql and mediawiki on it and doing a dump/
restore? That's what I do (I'm using Fedora FC10, but I would think almost any
modern Linux distro would make it quite easy), and it takes far less disk space
than you might think, even for a decent sized wiki.