[Mediawiki-l] Adding to category:people

Giuseppe Briotti g.briotti at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 18:21:59 UTC 2009

> I have a page that gives information on a company which I could add
> to a category called "business".  In addition, I would like to be
> able to have the owner's name show up under a category called
> "people", but I may or may not want to create a page for the owner of
> all companies.
>
> Is there a way to format the {{category:people}} line so that it will
> display the owner's name when you go to the category page, but the
> link will actually go to the company page?
>
> For example, if I had a page for a company owned by James Smith
> called Smith, Smith, and Jones and I try something like
> {{category:people|Smith, James}} the actual display on the people
> page would read "Smith, Smith, and Jones" instead of the desired
> "Smith, James"
>
> Sandy

mmm... I think you must adopt a different approach... the category
page is used to list the wiki pages (i.e. article, belongin to the specified
category (i.e. people category page list all the pages classified with
people category).

What you need seems a little bit different: listing all the person present
in your wiki, because they have an article classified as person and
because they are a company owner.

IMHO this can make in 2 ways: working only with person category (but
each person needs to have a page) or use DPL to create a list of person
(in this case the selection criteria could be based on category person
for person article and a template for company article)...

Usign DPL then you can list the name and, if the name come from a
company article, you can link directly to the company instead of a
person article...

G.

--

Giuseppe Briotti