[Mediawiki-l] Image Caching Issue

Russ Lavoy ussray_00 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 26 13:11:14 UTC 2009

Hello All,

Now, I am not sure if this is a Mediawiki issue or something else, but I am having an issue with a consistent image cache...  Here is my issue.

I have about 6 frontend web servers that host the mediawiki software, all of which connect to a backend NFS server to share the same image files (not the software itself, just the images directory).  When a user uploads a file for the first time, it works as expected, but if later they make modifications to the same image file and re-upload the file, they will randomly get the old or the new version for about an hour or so then it will be fixed.  The end users have tried to purge the image but that does not work.  We have to wait it out.

Has anyone had this issue?
Does anyone have any better ideas to share an image directory to multiple frontend servers?
Can we use an http:// address for the images path instead of looking at the local file system?

Thanks for you help