[Mediawiki-l] Reinstalling in place

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 11:29:04 UTC 2009

Our intranet wiki is MediaWiki 1.11. Someone did something unknown to
it and a pile of stuff doesn't work (JPEG upload, for instance - see
stable version and it failed! Clearly, something is deeply messed up.

It should be possible to take a database dump, undump to a fresh copy
and rebuild the config with our desired options. (Config will now be
kept in local svn for recoverability!) Then I should be able to
upgrade to latest stable.

Questions:

1. Has anyone else done this? Gotchas?
2. If the fouled-up-ness extends to the data in the database, such
that the reinstalled copy is broken in the same way ... what partial
recovers are possible?

- d.