[Mediawiki-l] mysql5 binary schema

Ben Willmore bdeb at willmore.eu
Wed Mar 25 10:06:48 UTC 2009

I have an old mediawiki installation, which used to run on mysql 4 and
mediawiki 1.6 (ish). I dumped the database and moved to a new machine,
with mysql 5 and mediawiki 1.14. When I import the data to the new
wiki, I get a choice between mysql 5 binary, mysql 5 UTF-8 and
backwards-compatible mysql 4 UTF-8. If I choose either of the mysql 5
options, the install produces a warning that the database is still
using the mysql 4 schema, and all non-ascii characters are corrupt. If
I choose the mysql 4 option, everything seems to work fine, but I get
a dire warning that using mysqldump may break all non-ascii
characters.

I need to use mysqldump to back up the wiki. So -- how can I upgrade
my mysql4 database to one of the new mysql 5 schemata?

Thanks,

Ben