[Mediawiki-l] upgrading from V1.13.4 to V1.14, getting fatal error

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Sun Mar 22 10:42:51 UTC 2009

Evelyn Yoder wrote:
> Yes, this was my process:
> - downloaded the files from the MW download page:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Download
> - used 7-zip to extract the files
> - used FileZilla to copy the contents of MW1.14 folder to the hosted site
> (first, I renamed /images folder, /extensions folder and /skins folder to
> preserve the customized contents; I renamed localsettings.php to
> localsettings-old.php)
> - opened the wiki in a web browser, and installed MW the usual way
>
>>> this is when the odd Notices appeared:
>         >>  *Notice*: Use of undefined constant NS_FILE_TALK - assumed
> 'NS_FILE_TALK' in *
> /home/platfor1/public_html/wiki/includes/DefaultSettings.php**1930* on line
> *        >> Notice*: Undefined variable: wgAjaxSearch in *
> /home/platfor1/public_html/wiki/includes/Setup.php* on line *272*
>
> Continued the process, since nothing seemed to be fatal...I am now
> re-thinking this decision...
> - moved localsettings.php from /config folder
> - deleted folders: /images, /extensions, /skins, and renamed previous
> folders
> - added my custom stuff to the localsettings.php file
> - launched the site
>
>>> this is when I got the error message: *Fatal error*: Undefined class
> constant 'FOR_THIS_USER' in *
> /home/platfor1/public_html/wiki/includes/Article.php* on line *440*

The error indicates that your includes/Revision.php was from the old
version, and includes/Article.php was from the new version. It's
possible that FileZilla aborted halfway through the upload, and you
didn't notice the error. I seem to remember errors are fairly subtle
in FileZilla. We've talked about the possibility of doing an integrity
check in config/index.php to check for this sort of thing.

By the way, the skins directory is not compatible between major
versions of MediaWiki, you shouldn't keep your old one. You should
keep track of the changes you made to it, and then apply them again to
a fresh copy of it for each version.

-- Tim Starling