[Mediawiki-l] Database corruption

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Tue Mar 10 14:19:36 UTC 2009

Ekompute .info wrote:
> Hi, I was trying to upgrade from Version 1.10 to 1.14 and ended up with data
> corruption. Apparently, there is something wrong with my /includes/media
> files:
>
> *Warning*: imagesx(): supplied argument is not a valid Image resource in *
> /home/aseanped/dummipedia.org/includes/media/Bitmap.php* on line *210
>
> *Error is visible on Firefox at
> Dummipedia.org<http://dummipedia.org/Free_Simplified_Online_Encyclopedia>but
> returns empty pages in Internet Explorer.
> **I tried to restore the database but apparently, the same errors still
> remain. How can I resolve this problem. (Fortunately, in shifting the
> website, I still maintain my website with my old webhost so all is not
> lost.) I have always have a fear of upgrading as I haven't done it before
> and haven't been able to do it. Just couldn't understand the manual, LOL.

The database is not corrupted. The error you gave indicates that you
have uploaded a corrupt or missing image file, which is causing GD to
fail to load the image from disk into memory. You may have forgotten
to copy your image files across from your old webhost. You need to
copy the whole images directory.

It's possible to see this when you do an apparently unrelated change
in server configuration, because if you were previously using
ImageMagick, that may have worked just fine, but now it can't find the
ImageMagick "convert" utility and so is using GD, which is giving this
error.

At the heart, the issue is a bug. It is an insufficiently informative
error message.

Note that Michael Daly and Scheelocke are completely wrong and
following their suggestions won't do any good.

-- Tim Starling