[Mediawiki-l] $wgForeignFileRepos confusion

Tim Larson larson at towncommons.com
Fri Mar 6 09:28:28 UTC 2009

I wanted to experiment with a "commons" site, so I created two sites, uploaded
one file to each, and got the first to pull media from the other if it didn't
exist locally.  Yay!

I also set up my wikishare to use MW Commons.  This works nicely, insofar as
it loads images from MWC.  But the description of this feature said the files
were supposed to be fetched once then cached locally to save on bandwidth.
So...shouldn't the MWC image now be available to wiki1, as well?  Perhaps this
"chaining" wouldn't work if it was _first_ requested from wiki1 (I can
understand the request methods might be different so it wouldn't work quite
the same), but at least after requested from (my local) wikishare since it
should be cached there?  Where is it cached?

Thanks,
Tim