[Mediawiki-l] Considering Wiki for a Canadian E-learning Project

Jeremie Legault jlegault at ccl-cca.ca
Wed Mar 4 16:54:51 UTC 2009

To whom it may concern,

As the IT Manager of the Canadian Council on Learning I was approached by a Director in our Organization interested in use a Wiki for the following project (please see his email below).

He was interested in http://wikigender.org/ that seemed to layout his mental picture for his project. If possible I would like to discuss Wiki with someone who has used it, implemented and maintained in an effort to understand all that is involve with Wiki and what we can expect to gain from it.

Thanks Jeremie Legault

Thanks again for this, Jeremie. At this moment, we are still just exploring the feasibility and whether a Wiki on e-learning would be a good vehicle to disseminate and, most importantly, to engage stakeholders and the users community in 'connecting' on this topic. One of the recommendations of the E-Learning (to be released probably before the summer) is to generate a momentum on e-learning in Canada, sharing of resources (including creating a clearing house on e-learning research and links). From what I can see, it occurred to me that a wiki may be a good way to start addressing such recommendation. In regards to populating the wiki, we may be able to ask our colleagues in (Montreal) to assist us in identifying relevant materials that the wiki could have before we lunch it publically.

So, I guess, at this moment, I am interested in finding out the cost implications from a system point of view (eg - is there a software or license costs ? server ? etc). Also, from what I heard, there are public wikis and closed wikis where materials are being posted and reviewed by authorized assess only. Some organizations have both. I can also talk to as well to find out how successful those wikis are from a Communication point of view.

So, overall, my 'vision' is that CCL could be the 'catalyst' to get it started but then we will need to find out how could maintain it later once it is up and running (we may ask for example).

Thanks in advance